SA TROTS - Media Release - SA Country Cups Dates 2023
SA COUNTRY CUPS – KEY DATES AND PROGRAMMING ADVICE
Regional racing in South Australia will take a slightly different shape next year with the addition of the 2023 SA Country Cups Series for Pacers and Trotters.
With a small tweak on the current Cups programming, a series for each gait will be dedicated solely to regional racing from February to April. This will complement, and be in addition to, the 2023 SA Pacing and Trotters Cups which will be conducted during October 2023. Below are some key dates and further details.
Please note due to recent activity, venues for each date are TBC, however they will include Gawler, Kapunda, Mount Gambier, Strathalbyn, Victor Harbor, with the final to be held at Port Pirie (Yorke Peninsula HRC will continue to host a standalone Saturday night Kadina Cup meeting at Port Pirie in the spring).
• Sunday Feb 26 – Country Cup / Heat 1
• Saturday March 4 – Country Cup / Heat 2
• Sunday March 12 – Country Cup / Heat 3
• Monday March 27 – Country Cup / Heat 4
• Easter Sunday April 9 – Country Cup / Heat 5
• Saturday April 15 – Port Pirie SA Country Cup Final
These dates have been selected to ensure the flow of the series, to maximise coverage, and to avoid any significant programming/event clashes.
Some points of interest are highlighted below:
• Heats will be worth a minimum of $9,000 to pacers and $8,000 to Trotters, with all clubs having an opportunity to create additional stake money
• The Port Pirie SA Country Cup final will be worth $25,000 to pacers and $20,000 to trotters. SA Cup (October) prizemoney and details will be advised in due course
• The SA Derby will be moved later in the season to an October schedule to allow for maximum participation
• The Italian Cup at Globe Derby is programmed for Saturday Feb 11 at Globe Derby and will be conducted separate to this series
• A points system, similar to the 2022 SA Cup program will be adopted. Additionally, preference for the final shall be granted to horses that have accepted in 2 or more heats
• Horses may be domiciled inside or outside of SA throughout this series
• Manual field selection will be adopted for all qualifying races
This implementation of a Country Cups Series during the autumn, and the SA Cup at Globe Derby in spring, will allow for the higher ranked talent pool in SA to have significant targets at both key points of the season, which will effectively progress the state’s feature race program and budget.
An announcement in relation to each club’s specific race date and finer details will be made during November.
Story: HRSA Media