SA TROTS -Local Culture King will need a lot of luck

LUCK, luck, luck and plenty of it…that’s what Paul Cavallaro believes is required to claim consecutive South Australia Cups.

Successful in last season’s edition with Wrangler, Cavallaro will contest Saturday night’s version at Globe Derby with veteran stallion, Culture King.

The state’s most promising pacer early in his career, Culture King became so ill just as he was completing the transition to open class he wasn’t expected to live.

Miraculously surviving, Culture King has failed to recapture his best, but has remained competitive, with his consistent form earning him a berth in the state’s premier event.

The son of Art Major gained his entry into the Cup with a luckless fourth in a heat last week.

“At the time the vet told me to keep the phone close by because 90 per cent of horses which have what he had die,” Cavallaro explained. “The other 10 per cent who do get past it at first, usually succumb to it within 12 months.

“The fact he is alive is a miracle in itself, having him racing competitively, even winning a couple of weeks ago and now going in the SA Cup is incredible.”

To be driven by James Herbertson Culture King has drawn barrier four, which Cavallaro describes as “handy enough”.

“In an ideal world, I would have liked to see him drawn closer to the pegs,” Cavallaro said. “But four is better than six or 10, so I’ll take it.

“He got held up last week and was a bit unlucky, but was then getting home as good as anything up the straight.

“He’s going to need a hell of a lot of luck, and while Wheres The Gold is the one to beat, to be honest, nearly anything can win it with the right run.”

HOOFNOTE: Now trained by Cavallaro’s sister, Angela Chapman, Wrangler is the emergency.

 Story: HRSA Media

Photo: Walter Bulyga